Start: Oakland, California
Dist: 19.48 mi
Elev Gain: 3,314 ft
June 1, 2021 to June 30, 2021
Pre-ride and tailgate party on June 13th at 10am
1. Brandon - Grass Valley to Two Rocks (2.54 mi/351 ft)
2. Lost Ridge Trail and Quail Trail (1.24 mi/223 ft)
3. Honker Bay Dock to Redtail Summit (3.09 mi/761 ft, climb category 3)
4. Three Sisters (0.70 mi/60 ft)
5. MacDonald Trail Climb to Bort Meadow (1.42 mi/414 ft, climb category 4)
The route is a good mix of different types of trails in Anthony Chabot Regional Park in the Oakland hills: wide fire roads, lush tree lined single track, some roller coasters, long steep downhill with loose dirt and gravel (Live Oak Trail) and some of my favorite hidden gems like Lost Ridge and Towhee trails. The two big climbs are segment #3, Honker Bay Dock to Redtail Summit with a 12% average grade climbing out of the bay an going directly into Three Sisters (#4), and #5 MacDonald Trail from Bort Meadow, a long climb at the end of a long day. The route does cross over on itself at Live Oak and Towhee, so pay close attention to the route direction. I tried to pick segments on trails that are climbs or trails with minimal foot traffic to avoid spooking hikers. The combined mileage of the segments is less than 8 of the 19 miles, so go hard on the segments and then take in the beauty of the trails and the park. The leaderboard will be the total time over five segments on a single ride.
There are three female and male categories, 17 and under, 18 to 50 and 50+. The top rider in each category will win an OmegaBykr t-shirt (see 'Store' at the top). You can ride the course as many times as you like until July 11th.
If you are not already an OmegaBykr user, click ‘Register’ from the top navigational bar to create an account. Click 'Events' -> 'Active' from the top bar and click the title for this event to return to this page. Then click on the ‘View Event’ link below (above the map) to register for this event. You will be required to complete an online waiver and your rides will automatically be pulled from your Strava account. If you don’t want to wait for the automatic process (every 3 hours) to load your rides, you can manually upload your ride to see your results on the leaderboard. The event page, from ‘View Event’, will have everything you need to track your event: rider registration, segment details, manual ride upload and results. Once you register for the event, you can easily navigate to it using the ‘Account’ link from the navigational bar on any Omegabykr home page. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
1. Create OmegaBykr user account
2. Click ‘Link to Route’ below to get the GPX file for your Garmin.
3. Click ‘View Event’ below to get to the event page
4. From the event page, you can register to ride, see each Strava segment in detail, manually upload your ride from Strava and see the results leaderboard.
5. To get back to this page from the event page, click ‘View Post’.